Saturday, September 26, 2015

Iran Vows To Take Legal Action Against Saudi After Loosing 136 Pilgrims In The Thursday Disaster

Iran on Saturday has vowed to take international legal action against Saudi Arabia's rulers over the crush of Muslim pilgrims at this year's hajj, which killed at least 769 people, including 136 Iranians.

The Saudi Health Ministry announced earlier on Twitter that the death toll in the hajj disaster stood at 769 pilgrims killed and 934 injured, updating previous figures. It did not offer nationalities for the dead and injured.

Meanwhile, Iran has accused Saudi of mismanaging the pilgrims which led to the pilgrims either suffocating or being trampled to death on Thursday.

The Saudi authorities reportedly blocked a road used by hajj pilgrims to allow a royal convoy to pass through, causing the deadly convergence in the town of Mina on the outskirts of Mecca.

According to reports,Iranians comprise the largest group of casualties identified so far. Iranian state TV says Ghazanfar Roknabadi, a former ambassador to Lebanon, as well as two Iranian state TV reporters and a prominent political analyst are among those still missing.

"Under international law, this incident is absolutely subject to prosecution. The Al-Saud must be responsive," Iran's State Prosecutor Ebrahim Raisi told state TV, referring to Saudi Arabia's ruling family.

"They have to know that we will pursue the trial of Al-Saud for the crime they have committed against the hajj pilgrims through international courts and organizations."

Iranian state TV said 136 Iranian pilgrims were among the dead and 85 were injured, while 344 Iranians remain missing.


No comments:

Beatrice... A Tale of Love, Trust, Betrayal and Revenge! (1)

Tears stung and burned my eyes as I sat in the rickety bug infested bus that would take me to my destination. I shut my eyes tight in den...